Monday 15 February 2016

Our Oban adventure #1

Once a year we try our best to make the sometimes never ending 8 hour trip back to K 's ( the wife ) home town of Oban Scotland. Most of K's family still live in Oban and this becomes the only time in the year she gets to see them so no matter what's going on in our lives we will set the one week in February half-term as our week in Scotland.
Oban as always is a beautiful place surrounded by snow covered mountains and amazing ocean views for me growing up in a big city Oban is like a completely different world and I walk around completely amazed by the sights. 


We spent the first day or so making are way around family members, saying a few hellos and drinking a few Irn-Bru. 
Being Valentine's weekend and very rarely getting the chance wife and I decided to go for a nice meal at the Oban steak house, now I've had many steaks in my many years but this one 
definitely goes straight to the top, I've never had a steak that actually melted in my mouth and I could eat it over and over again. 


Being a small town of no more then about 20,000 people everyone seems to know everyone, Something my wife seems to hate but to me is a breath of fresh Scottish air, I come from a place were I could walk for days and not bump into someone I know where here a 5 minute walk to the shop with K's dad can take up to an hour where along the way everyone's got a new story to tell and I love it. 
Day 3. We decided to get the cable cars up to the top of the Nevis range at Fort William and do a bit of sledding. 
We fully expected to freeze being at the top of a mountain and kitted ourselves with as many layers of clothes we could possibly find, poor Moo could bearly move her arms and made eating a packet of crisps the worse experience in her little life, but the weather was mild and with the sun shine some times even warm. 




Our fun up high was short lived when one by one the girls started to complain about cold fingers and toes and one of them even suggesting that they had frostbite, it was by no means that bad but we decided that we all had had plenty of fun and made a move back down to ground level where we could get some much needed dinner but promised ourselfs that we would be back in the near future this time in full ski gear goggles included. 



No comments:

Post a Comment